Delta Secondary

8-12 English

4615 - 51st Street
Delta, British Columbia
V4K 2V8
phone: 604-946-4194
fax: 604-946-5162
Principal: Jeanette Beaulieu

Mission Statement:

As members of Delta Secondary community, we will:
  • Provide a safe and secure environment
  • Believe in the potential of every individual to be successful
  • Promote school-wide communication
  • Emphasize the need for a strong work ethic
  • Foster critical thinking
  • Teach students how to learn
  • Accommodate different learning rates and styles
  • Encourage cooperative learning
  • Provide opportunities for self-discovery
  • Provide opportunities for the development of personal responsibility
  • Respect diversity
  • Value team work
  • Promote democratic values and ethics
  • Connect with both community and global issues
  • Celebrate our successes

History of School:

King George V High School, the first high in Delta, was located on the present site of the Ladner Community Centre. The first two rooms of the school were built in 1912, with a third room added in 1916. The school closed in 1938 having had almost 500 students graduate during the life of the school. The building was not demolished right away but became known as the "Ladner Dug Out" to provide some diversion for the military who were training in Delta. After WWII the Ladies Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion used the building for meetings before it was replaced by a bowling alley and later the present community centre.

In 1938, Delta Central School, originally built in 1926 and used a an elementary school (Grades 1-8) was enlarged and updated for senior students while a new elementary school was built on the same plot of land, the site of Delta Senior Secondary today. A new gym separated the two schools.

The official opening of the "Ladner Elementary and Junior/Senior High School Centre" took place in April 1939 and was attended by many dignitaries including Reeve A.D. Paterson.

Between 1938 and 1989 there were at least ten additions to the school. By 1952, the elementary school had become known as Delta Jr. Secondary while the central School building (B block) and various additions made up the Delta Sr. Secondary, two separate schools on the same site. In 1975, the schools were amalgamated into one school, known as Delta Secondary School. It wasn't until 1984 with the building of the art wing that the schools were physically joined. In 1990 the Genesis Theatre was built, paving the way for the present building we have today.