- Provide a positive, safe and caring place of learning with high standards and expectations.
- Foster the development of personal responsibility by encouraging problem-solving, decision-making and communication skills.
- Develop appropriate social skills within a climate of mutual respect.
- Encourage students to strive to reach their personal best.
History of School:
Gibson Elementary School was named for Mr. Bert Gibson, who homesteaded on Gibson Road, which is now 90th Avenue. Gibson Road (formerly known as Gibson Trail) went west from Scott Road (est. 1895) to Oliver Road (112th Street). Bert Gibson's homestead was located on the brow of 90th Avenue, between 116th Street and Scott Road.
Bert Gibson was born in New Brunswick in 1866 and had a long and colourful life. As a young man he belonged to Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders and then he followed the gold rush to the experience and decided to purchase several acres in this area, which was then known as Kennedy. With an axe and a saw, he built his home on the land which at that time was forested with cedars and Douglas fir trees. Bert was a veteran of the First World War and upon his return to Canada, he married Sarah Banister, whom he met in Manchester. They had one son, Bert D. Gibson. Bert Senior passed away in 1960, at the age of 95.
The land on which the school sits was once a duck pond. After acquiring the property in 1969, the Delta School Board instructed their building crew to begin construction. The original building consisted of eight classrooms and a gymnasium and was open for business in 1971. The first on-site principal was Mr. Garth Johnson. There have been four additions to the school. Four classrooms and a library were opened in 1972 and subsequently, eight more classrooms were added in 1973 and 1974. The school was officially opened on May 17, 1974, fifteen divisions, 25 total staff members , Principal was Mr. G. Johnson and since then two portable classrooms have been added. During the final addition to the school, which was completed in 2001, the portables were removed and five additional classrooms and a multipurpose room were built.