Youth Work in Trades (SSA)
What is SSA?
The Secondary School Apprenticeship (SSA) program is a partnership between the ITA and the B.C. Ministry of Education. SSA lets students begin the work-based training component of an apprenticeship program while still in high school. Students ‘earn while they learn’ getting dual credits toward both their high school diploma and apprenticeship on-the-job training hours. SSA provides a smoother transition from school to work and a quicker route to trade certification, a paycheck, and starting your career up to 3 years early. SSA students may also apply to add ACE IT technical training, or start with ACE IT and add SSA.
How does it work?
Secondary School Apprentices are on the job part-time or full time with a sponsor employer as a registered youth apprentice. Some can even work one day and be at school the other day. SSA students need to complete 480 hrs and the course assignments to receive the 16 credits (4 courses@120 hrs, SSA 11a, 11b, 12a, & 12b). These hours also count toward their apprenticeship 'hours in the trade' with the ITA. To be eligible for SSA, students must at least 15 yrs old, of 'school age', and under the age of 20 at program completion. Youth apprentices in this program must, like other apprentices, start by getting a paid job. This means they need to find an employer who will hire them, and then sponsor them as an apprentice and commit to their training. Starting as an unpaid Work Experience student is also an option. Up to 240 unpaid hours may be used towards SSA. The district can help with the process. Students are encouraged to also apply for ACE IT (the technical training of an apprenticeship).
How do I get started?
- There are over 100 apprenticable trades in BC ~ see itabc.ca for a complete list
- You will need an employer who will hire you and sponsor you
- They need to have a credentialed Journeyperson for your trade
- Contact your school Career staff for an SSA appointment
If all conditions are met you will be registered as a Youth Apprentice through Delta
SSA Award! ~ $1000 if you:
- Are registered with ITA as a youth apprentice.
- Have a Grade 12 Dogwood Diploma or Adult Dogwood Diploma.
- Have successfully completed SSA 11A, 11B, 12A and 12B.
- Maintained a C+ average or better in your Grade 12 courses.
- Reported 900+ hours to ITA by Dec 31 of the school year in which you turn 19.